Monday, April 4, 2011

Half-Assed Kitchen Nightmares

Last night while big chocolate was working out in the yard, I was inspired and motivated! I decided to make a chicken and rice casserole, rice krispy treats and homemade granola because I could get it all together pretty quickly.

I wanted to be extra efficient so I decided to double the recipe for the casserole. Bad, I repeat bad plan.

My head has been firmly up my ass the last few days and I don't know if I didn't double something right, or if you can't just double up on a rice casserole, but is was a train wreck. It took well over two hours to cook and I use the term very loosely.

Some of the rice was perfect and some of it was crunchy and it was way too salty. Needless to say it is now in the trash... Along with the granola I made.

You see since it took 2+ hours for the casserole to cook it was getting late and I thought I would just put the granola in the oven for a few minutes once it was preheated and let it cook the rest of the way after the oven turned itself off.

Lets just say it cooked the rest of the way and then some. It was the craziest thing. It wasn't burnt looking, but it tasted burnt. I officially give up. The only thing that worked last night were the rice krispy treats, so that's what I had for dinner (and ahem breakfast)!

5 comments:

  1. Krispy treats sound like a great dinner and breakfast to me; and they're vitamin enriched. It's a win/win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE a good rice krispy treat in the morning. Goes great with coffee.

    If it's any consolation, I fed my family peanut butter and jelly for dinner last night, because I just couldn't summon the energy to cook anything. So, at least you're ahead of me.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey
    I think your site's hilarious and have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. We are all half-assed in our own little way..Consider me a new reader!
    http://wakeuptofrugality.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha!!! This is too funny. I've been reading your blog for quite some time, not sure if I've ever commented or not!! I understand you actually have a family, job, and life to tend to, but hurry up and post again!! This shit is funny! ;) Oh, and by the way, the response BC made to you burying your sorrows in Nachos & Cheese is TOTALLY something my hubby would say and I literally spit my early morning mimosa everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. I have had my own "FAIL" experiences in the kitchen too. Don't worry, you aren't alone and we all learn from our experiments and first times. Would have loved to eat the granola bars. :)

    Visit my site: Custody of Child

    ReplyDelete

Don't be a wimp. Talk to me!