Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Whodathunk?

Did you know you can actually start a fire in your kitchen just by making iced tea??? Lemme tell ya, with me anything is possible.

I set this blog up a few weeks ago planning to memorialize my attempt at being a decent housewife while school is out for the summer. I have visions of cooking new and great dishes even though I am a notoriously bad cook. You can learn to do anything with the internet right? Well, that remains to be seen.

Like most things in my life, I hadn't actually gotten around to sitting down to post, until I was struck by divine inspiration (more of a hellish intervention to tell the truth). Shortly, after my daughter said, "Umm, Mommy, the teabags aren't supposed to be on fire are they?" I knew exactly what my first post would be.

So, did you know you could actually start a fire by making iced tea? Let me start off by saying that I usually use the Cold Brew stuff, so this is my first and probably last attempt at making tea the old fashioned way. Needless to say, I hadn't a clue.

Now, I will admit that I could have been wild and read the directions on the box of Lipton, but who doesn't know how to make tea? Apparently you are supposed to boil the water and then turn it off before you put the teabags in the pot.

I carefully filled the pot with water, put the teabags in and propped the little hangy tags up on the metal handle of the pot. I knew not to let them dangle down close to the flame, because it would really suck to burn the house down making tea. Apparently those little doo dads are quite combustible though since they kind of burst into flame with out actually touching the fire.

Once I saw the flames, I thought quick. I reached and turned off the stove. Then I thought even smarter and blew on the embers. Oh crap, that was a bad move. Note to self oxygen makes flames happy.

I stopped for a second and thought, "Oh Shit!" I didn't want to burn the house down, but I really don't want to ruin the tea by shoving he flaming hangy tags into my brewing tea either. Luckily while I was weighing my options the fire sort of put itself out. Whoo. The house is saved, the tea is saved and my husband is enjoying a fresh glass of fire-roasted iced tea as I write this! It's apparently quite good all things considered.

1 comment:

  1. honestly it takes a lot to make DH laugh out loud... but you did!!!!! :) This was hilarious. Look forward to reading more of your "moments"!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be a wimp. Talk to me!