Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cleaning out the Freezer

Big Chocolate is participating in a 21 Day Fast at our church this month. It's the Daniel Diet which is basically fruits and vegetables. No dairy, meat, fish or bread. Last time the church did it there was no caffeine allowed either. This time the pastor decide "bean juice" was ok because coffee is just a bean.

I can't do the diet because my Doctor is real big on me not detoxing anti-psychotics. Jeez, he's no fun. I was going to give up caffeine (and thus my beloved diet dr. peppers) like I did last year, but when coffee was on the table again, I knew I would just drink that instead even though it's disgusting. I wouldn't be doing it with the right spirit, so I am just skipping out this time.

Do you have any idea how many pounds of fruit and veggies a dude Big Chocolate's size has to eat to not wither away? Double that because he's been working out for 1 1/2 hours 4 or 5 times a week. I brought home about 20 pounds of fruits and veggies yesterday and I think it should last until Saturday - Maybe.

All that being said, since just the kids and I are eating "real food", our standards are much lower. I'm hoping that we can eat our way through the pantry and freezer over the next 3 weeks. This will cut our grocery cost since the big guy's are going through the roof.

I always have tons of meat in the freezer. I love to check out the "old meat bin" at Market Street and throw it in the freezer as soon as I get home. Heck I have 4 Turkey's in the freezer outside from Thanksgiving sales.

So far this week we have had Mac & Cheese, Chicken with Meat and Cheese In (Cordon Bleu to the rest of the world), Carnitas and Frito Pie. If I get my lazy ass off the couch and take it out I think tonight will be pork tenderloin of some variety. From their we have chicken thighs and spaghetti sauce to work through.

Don't worry we're eating plenty of fruit and healthy snacks too. Once I work my way through all of the "good meat" I have a ton (like 200 probably) chicken breasts in the freezer. I will try to find as many unhealthy ways to eat those as possible. Baked potatoes with lots of sour cream and cheese and fettuccine alfredo anyone?

Would it be bad if I considered the shelf full of liquor at the top of the pantry as part of my cleaning out goal?

PS. I just learned that caffeine does not follow the i before e except after c rule. Ain't that something.

1 comment:

  1. It must be tough on Big Chocolate to eat just fruit and veggies while the rest of you get the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be a wimp. Talk to me!