Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rubber Chicken

Man I have stretched the package of Chicken Leg Quarters farther than I ever would have imagined possible. Brokeness can be such an inspiration I tell you.

I got a couple of packages of Chicken Quarters for free. They were on sale at target a while ago and I used a target coupon and manufacturer's coupon to get them for free.

I stumbled across an un-recipe to make shredded chicken in the crock pot. I call it an un-recipe because you skin the legs and throw 'em in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. No water, no salt, no nothing.

When I woke up in the morning I fished out the chicken and shredded it. I got what I guestimate to be about 4 cups of shredded chicken. I threw the bones back in the pot with the juices.

I added about 6 cups of water, some onion, celery and bell pepper I had in the freezer and left it in the crockpot for another 8 hours or so to do its thing. FYI, I never throw away veggies. I always freeze them for stuff like this when they get too limp to use for anything else.

When I got home, I fished out the bones and the limp veggies and tossed them. Then I added a couple of hand fulls of noodles and chopped up 2 "good" carrots and celery stalks threw them in with a handful of the shredded chicken. Viola - Cheap and easy gallon of chicken noodle soup.

Tomorrow we are are having chicken taco's with the rest of the shredded chicken.

3 comments:

  1. You are nothing if not resourceful! Great job! Plus it sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do my chicken almost the same way except I don't bother to skin it until the end. I think it's easier to get the skin off once it's cooked. Also, I usually add onion to stretch the meat further.
    http://unintendedhousewife.blogspot.com/2009/10/5-25-minutes-16-meals.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. so do split, bone-in chicken breasts work the same way? I got some of those for almost free....

    ReplyDelete

Don't be a wimp. Talk to me!