Friday, June 5, 2009

Oh So Gooey Granola

I'm planning on making granola today. Who knows if I will actually get around to it, but a girl can dream. This recipe is a staple in our house. Feel free to change it up. I never make it the same way twice, but that's par for the course for me. This is good high quality granola, but it's sticky not like that sawdust you buy at the store.
  1. Preheat oven to 325
  2. Line a cookie sheet with non-stick foil. Make sure you get the sides too.
  3. Mix 4 1/2 cups of regular unquick oatmeal, 1 1/2 cups slivered almonds, 1 cup sunflower seeds (shelled, unsalted), 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1 to 1 1/4 cups of honey, 2 TBSP of cinnamon, and up to a cup of anything else you want in there. I like craisins.
  4. Stir it up really well, then spread it out on your cookie sheet.
  5. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes
  6. Take it out and toss it around with a spatula.
  7. Bake it for an additional 15 - 20 - 25 minutes.

You are looking for a good golden or caramel color on the granola. Watch it though because you don't want it to get too brown (or black if you're me). It's probably still going to be sticky depending on how much oil and honey you use.

Let it cool down at least a little and then sneak a bite. Don't eat it straight out of the oven or your mouth will be very angry. Don't ask. Once it cools down put it in a ziplock bag. This makes about a gallon bag full.

We eat it alone or with vanilla yogurt. I don't like it in milk. With milk you are better going with the more cereal types of granola.

Shopping Tips: If you are buying the ingredients in small quantities it will be expensive. I try to minimize cost so I get my stuff in bulk at Costco. The almonds in particular are less expensive when you buy the ginormous bag. Their honey is about $10 for 32 oz. I either get the huge box of oatmeal at Costco or stock up on Free Oatmeal when I find a deal on it. Sunflower seeds I usually buy bulk at Sprouts or somewhere like that.

Interesting Aside: Spell check didn't say "ginormous" was spelled incorrectly. I guess Buddy the Elf has caused English as we know it to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be a wimp. Talk to me!